Filing Period Closes at 5 p.m. Jan. 21 for SJSD Board of Education
(December 12, 2019) The St. Joseph School District is now accepting declarations of candidacy from any person interested and qualified, per state statues and Board policy BBBA, in running for a position on the School Board in the April 7, 2020 election.
- Be citizens of the United States of America. Mo. Const. art. VII, § 8.
- Be voters of the St. Joseph School District. § 162.471, RSMo.
- Have resided in Missouri for a minimum of one year immediately preceding their election or appointment. Mo. Const. art. VII, § 8; § 162.471, RSMo.
- Be at least 24 years of age. § 162.471, RSMo.
- Not be delinquent in the payment of any state income taxes, personal property taxes, municipal taxes or real property taxes on their place of residence. If an applicant is a past or present corporate officer of any fee office, that office cannot be delinquent in the payment of any taxes owed the state. § 115.306, RSMo.
- Have not been found guilty of nor pled guilty to a felony under the federal laws of the United States of America or to a felony under Missouri law or an offense committed in another state that would be considered a felony in Missouri. §115.306, RSMo.
- Not be registered or required to be registered as a sex offender pursuant to § 162.014, RSMo.
- Have filed, or the treasurer of an existing candidate committee has filed, all required campaign disclosure reports with the Missouri Ethics Commission, when applicable, for all previous elections in which they were candidates. § 130.071, RSMo.
Persons interested may file at the superintendent’s office located at 925 Felix Street, St. Joseph, Missouri. Filing began on December 17, 2019, at 8:00 a.m. and will continue during the district’s regular business hours, which are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Filing will not occur on days that the school district’s offices are closed due to inclement weather. Filing will also not occur on the following holidays when the school district’s offices are closed: December 20, 2019 at 12:00 p.m./noon through January 1, 2020. The last day for Candidate Filing is January 21, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
There are two positions available with three-year terms.