Return to Headlines
What's Happening at Central High School?
- Lunch Menu for February 21st: Entrèes: Pizza; PB&J Sandwich; Southwest Taco Salad. Sides: Corn; Peach Crisp; Chilled or Fresh Fruit.
- Upcoming Club/Org Meetings:
- Chess Club Tue. Feb. 25 (3:00 PM) in Room 113
- Ping-Pong Club Tue. Feb. 25 (3:00 PM) by Frosh Gym
- History Club Wed. Feb. 26 (3:00 PM) in Room 41
- Quesadilla Club Wed. Feb. 26 (3:00 PM) in Room 123
- Smash Bros Club Wed. Feb. 26 (3:00 PM) in Lower LMC
- FCCLA Thu. Feb. 27 (3:00 PM) in Room 123
- Are You a Safe Driver? Come by the top floor of the Library Media Center and look for the blue box on Miss Kretzer's desk to sign up for the "I'm A Safe Driver" prize giveaway. You must possess a valid Missouri driver's license or permit to be in this program. Two cards will be drawn from each high school every month. The names drawn will win a monthly prize (such as a gas card, free meal, oil change, and more). All persons eligible will have a chance to win a car on Saturday, April 25, at Reed Automotive Group, Belt and Pear. (You must not have any traffic tickets on your license to be eligible to win a prize. You can only win one monthly prize during the school year You must be present during the drawing to win the car.)
- Sign up now in the Lower Library to participate in Lunch Bytes on Tuesday, February 25. Bring your lunch and come experiment with small electronics such as Makey Makey and Sphero. The event will be held in Lab 2 of the Lower Library during all four lunch shifts. There is limited space available, so please sign up early and come get your ticket/pass to attend the event.
- There will be an informational meeting for those interested in participating in Boys Golf in the spring season on Tuesday, February 25, in Room 23, at 2:50 PM. Talk to Mrs. Vandel in Room 23 for more information.
- There will be a meeting held after school on Tuesday, February 25, for those students interested in attending the DECA Travel Experience next year. Meet in Room 112. See Mrs. Beavers in Room 112 for more information.
- There will be a short informational meeting regarding Men's Spring Golf after school on Tuesday, February 25, in Room 23. Boys interested in playing golf should attend.
- Baseball Tryouts will be held Monday, March 2, through Wednesday, March 4. There will be two groups: Group 1 will be held from 3:30-5:30 PM for Freshmen Only. Group 2 will be held from 5:30-7:30 PM for Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors. Prospective players will need to register on Register My Athlete, upload their physical, have an ImPACT concussion screening, and a signed participation form. All documentation needs to be uploaded to Register My Athlete. Contact Coach Seifert for more information by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tryouts will be held at Bartlett Park, weather permitting. The Freshman Gym will be used as a backup for inclement weather.
- Attention Students: Invoices were mailed home to students who still owe fees for the 2019-2020 school year; these include registration fees (including the new $10 tech fee); fees from previous school years; and unreturned textbooks, uniforms or equipment. If you receive a statement in the mail, please pay these fees as sono as possible. Students with outstanding fees are not allowed to attend the Junior/Senior Prom and do not receive tickets to Graduation in May. See Mrs. Bacon, the bookkeeper, in the Main Office to pay fees or ask questions.
- If you are a Junior and interested in applying for Girls State, please see Mrs. Dudeck in the Counseling Office for more information. Girls State will be held June 21-27 at the University of Central Missouri-Warrensburg. This is a wonderful opportunity; activities include legislative sessions, campaigning, party rallies, debating, and voting. The deadline to apply for Girls State is Friday, February 21.
- The Counseling Office has a small number of WiFi HotSpots that students without internet access at home will be able to check out. There is a short application the student must complete, and a parent will have to sign the form. Applications can be picked up in the Counseling Office. Devices are checked out on a first come, first served basis. Please see Mrs. Chase with any questions.
- Upcoming College Representative Visits:
- University of Missouri-Kansas City: Tue. Mar. 10th (10:15 AM)
- (Signup for Representative Visits Here)
- Seniors: There are lots of scholarships due in the next few weeks. If you haven’t started your Scholar-Link application, you need to check into it soon because the application is lengthy. It’s due Sunday, March 1. Check the Counseling Office website for more information and see Mrs. McCamy with questions!
- Upcoming Scholarship Deadlines:
- Fri. Feb. 21: American Legion Eagle Scout of the Year; College Board Opportunity; Emmett J. Doerr Memorial Scout; Greater K.C. PFLAG/GLSEN; Hy-Vee Foundation; NIAAA Student Athlete; Tip Top Tux
- Mon. Feb. 24: FCS Financial; MO Educators of FACS; Missouri State University General & Departmental
- Tue. Feb. 25: Missouri STEM Signing Day; Scholar-Link
- Wed. Feb. 26: Create-A-Greeting Card Contest
- (More Scholarships Here)