The History of Hyde Elementary School
In 1850, Anliff C. Hyde donated a plot of land where a small one-room school was later built. In 1860, a new four-room structure was built nearby. In 1870, a new large frame structure was built adjacent and to the east of the 1860 Hyde School and was used until it was destroyed by fire in 1893. In 1894, a new school was built on the same ground and was known as King Hill School. In 1901, a new four-room brick school was built at 6th and Harmon. In 1908, an addition was added and King Hill students moved there. In 1930, land was purchased south of the old school on Thompson Street.
Hyde Elementary was made of brick and had eight rooms, a cafeteria, and a gym. By 1952, two classrooms, one on each floor, were added on the northwest. In 1968, a ten-classroom annex with cafeteria was built on the northeast.