History of Hillyard Technical Center
Hillyard began its daytime vocational classes in 1941 with an auto mechanics class taught in the former Central Police Station at 701 Messanie Street. William P. Green, the school’s first director, was responsible for much of its development. At the start of World War II, he was in charge of evening courses conducted for the National Defense Agency at the former Hillyard Chemical Co. building at 800 S. 9th Street. In 1943, the government closed out the school and donated the vocational equipment to the District. The Hillyard Company then donated the building which became the school’s first permanent facility. In 1964, the District purchased the former Whitaker Cable Co. factory at 1000 S. 9th Street. It was remodeled at a cost of $137,000 and classes started in the new facility in 1966. Hillyard outgrew the facility and moved to their current facility in 1982. Today, the structure at 1000 S. 9th Street is the location for the School District’s Maintenance Department.
In 1982, Hillyard moved to its present location at 3434 Faraon Street. In 1999, the board of education voted to change the name of the school to Hillyard Technical Center. In February 2017, the Advanced Science Research Center opened. The two-story, 10,000-square-foot addition includes science laboratory space, two classrooms and a commons and lounge space on both levels, along with a new secure entry and reception office. The expansion provides research space for students in agricultural science programs and creates opportunities for students from all three of the district’s high schools, and gifted students.