The History of Webster Learning Center
Webster School was built in 1869 and was named for Daniel Webster. The original building was built at the corner of 17th and Highly Streets. It was two stories with a French style roof. It was extensively remodeled in 1901. Many problems in construction were encountered in an effort to retain the French style of architecture (Strayer, 1922).
By the end of the 1920’s, the District saw the need for an entirely new building. This building was built in front of the old structure and dedicated in September 1931. An addition was added in 1948. The original structure cost $172,000 and the addition cost $19,000. Webster operated as an elementary school until 2009 when it was closed and repurposed as Webster Learning Center.
Webster Learning Center holds the following educational programs today:
- Adult Education & Literacy (High School Equivalency)
- Adult English as a Second Language
- Community Training Program
- Competency-based Alternative High School (admission by application)
- Missouri Options
- Public Day School