The History of Pickett Elementary School
The original Pickett School was part of the county organization of schools. The school was added to the District in 1965 when the country district dissolved. The original building was located across the road, south of the present structure at 3923 Pickett Road. When it was a county school it served grades 1-12. The original structure burned in 1954.
The current structure was enlarged in 1958 and at one time held 680 students. When the District saw that it was to take over the school because the county organization was to be dissolved, it planned ahead and built Skaith Elementary to the east in order to split the large enrollment. The present building has 17 classrooms along with a gym, office, cafeteria, and library.