The original Hall School started in 1887 with only two rooms and two teachers. In 1902, two more rooms were added. In 1909, a new school was built on the same site. Hall School was increased to eight rooms and eight teachers.
Hall School was named for Willard P. Hall. Mr. Hall, a lawyer, moved to St. Joseph in 1854. Mr. Hall served as the Lieutenant Governor of Missouri from 1861-1864 and was Governor of Missouri from1864-1865.